You might come across an error message like “Retrieving data, wait for a few seconds and try to cut or copy again” when using the online version of Microsoft Excel. This message appears when users attempt to transfer copied data to their computer. The Microsoft community forum has seen multiple updates with reports of similar issues in Excel. The following troubleshooting tips can assist you in resolving this error if you’re facing the same problem.
Table of Contents
Fix Retrieving Data, Wait A Few Seconds And Try To Cut Or Copy Again
The “Retrieving data, wait a few seconds and try cutting or copying again” error has been a source of frustration for many users. This error message pops up when attempting to copy and paste data from an Excel worksheet into another application. Furthermore, users have encountered this issue when copying between the web and desktop versions of Excel.
The error message appears instead of correctly pasting the data into a new field. Despite the appearance of being specific to a particular Excel version or operating system, this is not the case. Understanding the root of the error is relatively straightforward—it lies in the synchronization process. Microsoft Office programs historically operated offline and lacked the ability to incorporate additional features or functions via an internet connection for an extended period. In the past, this offline limitation led to frequent crashes on Windows XP, resulting in the easy loss of spreadsheet data.
The problem was resolved by synchronizing all data entered into the program to facilitate backing it up. Consequently, any modifications made to a document are simultaneously uploaded to an online server. In this context, if the validation process fails each time you attempt to copy, cut, and paste, the error message will be displayed.
Here are various methods to address the issue. Review all of them and select the one that best suits your needs.
Utilize Microsoft Office to Open the Excel File:
- Open the Excel document you intend to download.
- Click on “File” and select “Save As.”
- Opt for “Download a copy.”
Once the file is downloaded, open it on the Excel desktop to enable error-free copying and pasting. Note that Microsoft Office must be installed on your computer for this step to be effective. In case you don’t have access to MS Office offline, consider the following steps:
- Go to the Play Store on your Android device.
- Locate Microsoft Excel and install the Excel app by tapping on “Install.”
- After installation, move the downloaded file on your smartphone and use the app to open it.
- You can now edit the datasheet without encountering errors.
Alternatively, if you’re using the online version and facing issues, it’s advisable to download an offline copy for document modifications on your computer. Follow these steps:
- Access the document causing the error.
- Click the “File” button and then select “Save As.”
- Choose “Download a Copy.”
Use a Different Browser
If you encounter errors using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, consider switching to a different web browser, as these two browsers often result in the error.
To resolve the issue when copying and pasting select data from the Excel web app, follow these steps:
Re-select The Data After De-selecting It
- Unselect everything and wait a few minutes.
- Select the data you want to duplicate and use an external application to paste the data.
- In most cases, you should be able to paste data into Excel after it has finished syncing. However, note that this is a temporary measure, and the error may recur.
These methods should help you fix the “Retrieving data, wait a few seconds and try to cut or copy again” error. Feel free to choose the method that best suits your situation.