Encountering problems with YouTube’s Picture in Picture on your iPhone? Picture in Picture mode is a convenient feature that enables you to watch videos while multitasking on your device, and it’s present in various content streaming apps like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix.
Initially introduced by Android in the Android 8 update, Picture in Picture was later adopted by Apple with iOS 8. Although Picture in Picture mode was eventually released for iPhones by various apps, YouTube was among the last to implement it.
Despite YouTube now supporting Picture in Picture for iPhones, the feature is not without its glitches. Numerous users have reported issues with Picture in Picture mode on their YouTube app. If you’ve been experiencing difficulties with this feature, this article provides solutions to help you address the problems.
Table of Contents
Troubleshooting YouTube Picture in Picture (PIP) Issues on iPhone/iPad
This article provides solutions for resolving YouTube Picture in Picture not working on iPhone and iPad.
Restart Your iPhone:
If Picture in Picture was functioning correctly but is now experiencing issues, a device bug may be the cause. Restart your iPhone to potentially resolve the problem. After restarting, reopen the YouTube app and attempt to use Picture in Picture mode to see if the issue persists.
Ensure You Have YouTube Premium
Using YouTube Picture in Picture: A Guide
To utilize YouTube Picture in Picture, a YouTube Premium subscription is required. Certain features, such as Picture-in-Picture mode, are exclusive to YouTube Premium members. Ensure you have a YouTube Premium membership before proceeding with the following steps.
Update Your YouTube App:
Make sure your YouTube app is up to date with the latest version. If your iPhone’s YouTube app is not running the most recent version, Picture in Picture may not function correctly. To update the app, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Profile icon.
- Navigate to the “Available Updates” section.
- Check if there’s an update available for the YouTube app.
- Tap the “Update” button next to YouTube to install the latest version.
- After updating, test YouTube Picture in Picture on your iPhone to ensure it’s functioning properly.
Update iOS Version
Troubleshooting YouTube Picture in Picture Issues on iPhone
To resolve issues with YouTube Picture in Picture on your iPhone, follow these steps:
Ensure your iPhone is running iOS 14 or a higher version. If not, update your iOS by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on General and then Software Update.
- If an update is available, tap Download and Install.
Enable Picture-in-Picture on YouTube:
- If the feature isn’t working, ensure it’s enabled in the YouTube app:
- Open the YouTube app.
- Tap the Profile icon (top right).
- In the menu, select Settings.
- Under General, toggle on Picture-in-Picture.
Reinstall YouTube App:
- Address potential bugs by reinstalling the YouTube app:
- Tap and hold the YouTube app icon, then select Delete/Remove.
- Confirm the deletion.
- Open the App Store, search for YouTube, and reinstall the app.
Create a Shortcut:
- Use a shortcut for YouTube Picture in Picture on Safari:
- Open the Shortcuts app.
- Tap the + button (top right).
- Name the shortcut (e.g., YTPiP).
- Enable “Show in Share Sheet” and choose Safari Web Pages.
- Open Safari, visit YouTube, play a video, tap Share, and select the YTPiP shortcut.
Use YouTube in Browser:
- If issues persist, open YouTube in your browser:
- Open Safari or Google Chrome.
- Visit the YouTube website and sign in.
- Play a video in landscape mode.
- Minimize the browser, and YouTube will appear in a floating window.
These steps should help you address any problems you encounter with YouTube Picture in Picture on your iPhone. Enjoy an uninterrupted viewing experience!
YouTube stands out as one of the premier video streaming services and is the second-largest search engine globally, trailing only Google. Features such as Picture in Picture significantly elevate the overall user experience within the YouTube app. In the event that you encounter difficulties with YouTube Picture in Picture functionality, the steps outlined in this article serve as a comprehensive guide to troubleshoot and resolve any issues. Follow these steps to ensure a seamless and enhanced viewing experience on the YouTube app.